Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Jordan Creek Camp

We got off earlier then expected and were able to cruise up the Coeur d’Alene River with out any problems. The Shoshone Creek road had little traffic, except the occasional bear and such. Yes, we were on the paved part of the road came around a bend and there it was right in the middle of the road. It was a small black bear and he wanted nothing to do with our truck and camper. He scampered off the road to the right and we didn’t see him again. He wasn’t a big critter but it sure had long legs.

We passed the camp site we had a few weeks ago and started up over the pass. As we gained elevation we came upon another sight. In the middle of the road was a moose! It took a look at us and started running up the road. I fell in a ways behind him and we followed it for about a quarter mile. It looked over its shoulder and took a hard left up a spur road and was gone. Man we haven’t seen game like this for a while.

We arrived at Jordan Camp at about 5:45 pm. There was no one in the area and the only sign of people was one tent in a site just down from the one we set up in. We figured it was set there by the big red Dodge we met as we were driving into the camp. Our spot was the same one we had the last time we visited two years ago with the Beckwiths. We set up the screen tent for the second time since we bought it and it turned out to be easier then we remembered. It’s good sized though 10’ X 12’, we ought to be able to live in that I would say. The shower went up after I fixed one of the poles, we filled the solar shower and when it heats up we’ll be all set. Dinner this evening was on the road so we read a little and hit the sack for a peaceful night rest.

Morning was cool but that felt good, we ate breakfast and had our coffee/tea. My plan was to go fishing before the crowds of the weekend and then lay low when they set in to beat up the fish. Linda hung around camp and read; I kept in touch with her by our radio set. Fishing was good and I found that I was a little bit rusty. The currents were placing drag on the fly at inopportune times. Notice how I blame the current and not my lack of practice. I caught three big fish and about eight smaller ones. The biggest I estimated at about 18”, but remember I am rusty and my judgment could be off. I fished until I was so thirsty and hungry (another lack of experience move, no food of water.) I waded back up to the camp for lunch which Linda had ready for me when I arrived. Modern radio technology at its best!

Everything has been quiet up at Jordan Camp, not a sole around but we figure that will change this evening when folks get off work. Our campsite is a nice one, there is a small deer that is set on following us around but Baka doesn’t like that. About every half hour he takes off running and we have to call him back. He’s a good boy and hardly goes very far even when he is in hot pursuit.

The first to arrive was a red truck pulling about four ATVs. He took the far campsite and set up a big guide’s type tent. Not a problem, we knew we wouldn’t be alone up here. At about 9:00 pm things changed. Two vehicles pulled into the spot next to us where the tent had been set as a place holder. The sounds of loud music and swearing started immediately as the drunks set up camp. In about 30 minutes another truck arrived and more testosterone ridden drunks poured out. The chainsaw started at exactly 9:35 pm and the bearer made a close circle around their camp and ours. For the next half hour the quiet woods was filled with F#&% and the continuous revving of the saw. It actually sounded like the blade on the saw was so dull it could hardly cut a twig, but that only added to the noise.

Linda and I were ready for bed by 9:30 pm each night but it sounded like the party was just getting into gear at about 10:30 pm. Flash lights swishing across the night as the boys walked out from the fire to relieve themselves in the woods just outside of our camp. Baka growled at the movements even though he was in the cab of the truck, I wish I had let him stay out and attack the intruders if they came into our camp, but I didn’t. The music continued punctuated by Yahoo and F#&%! This lasted until 2:30 am when they finally passed out.

We slept very little, most of my thoughts were Rambo based “pay back time” dreams and Linda tossed worried about intruders into our campsite. One of my thoughts was to get up early and start the generator, grab my chainsaw and cut down a tree, right on their tent. But I remembered I didn’t have the chainsaw and the quiet was something I figured would be a valued commodity.

We got our hiking gear together, water, food and the GPS and set off to do some maintenance on the Jordan Creek Cache I had established in 2003. The hike was about 1.6 miles over a very good trail. We had to cross two small streams and walk through some very high groundcover, but we found the cache and it was right where I had hid it.
I read the notes and looked the box over to see if it need any repair, all was good so I hide it in the exact spot I had placed it two year ago.

We crossed a small creek and continued up the river for about another quarter mile and then turned around to follow the trail back to our camp site. The trail moves along the river and gains elevation several times as you hike. The last 1000 yards climbs up the side of the river to an overlook and as we reached the rock out cropping, we were greeted by “F#&%” and the sound of “Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy” blaring from the pickup below. As we walked back our weekend plan was beginning to change.

In camp the road was filled with ATV’s and new arrivals to the, what I had dubbed “Animal House” campsite. Women! The noise level escalated and the boys were now very pleased. Linda and I looked at each other and nodded, it was time to leave. As I packed Linda walked over to the newly arrived trailer family that had set up next to Animal camp and let them know that there was wood at our campsite if they wanted. She also warned them about the party in her subtle way.

In 55 minutes we were out and on the road out of Jordan Camp, hoping we could find a place to camp, if we were not lucky we could always go home and pack for our river trip down the Lower Salmon where we knew there were no cowboy rap parties taking place.

We drove up over the pass and as we went we checked for sites to set up camp. We stopped at one but it was very buggy so we went on over the pass and down Shoshone Creek. When we came to the area where we camped with the Sutherlands, we slowed down hoping it was available. Both sites were open, so we took our usual. We set up quickly and tried to get into the river, boy it was cold. The sun went down and it cooled off so we took a hike up Rampike Creek. Just before we left camp the folks from up at Jordan Camp that had set up next to Animal house drove by, obviously the party continued. We didn’t see any game but the hike was sure nice. Back at camp we made a dutch oven dinner, ate and went to bed. We both agreed that we made the right decision in moving and we’ll get the sleep to prove it.

In the morning Linda and Baka went running in the cool morning air as I sat and drank my coffee. My goals for the day were to go fishing and read my book. Linda and Baka stayed in camp as I hiked up Shoshone Creek. I fished hard and caught quite a few fish; I used a Stimulator with a dropper nymph. We ate dinner that evening and went for our usual walk at dusk.

I returned to camp and we all sat in the shade until the sun set. We cooked dinner over the campfire and went to for another walk, this time we headed the other directions up the road. The road up Shoshone Creek has a thick cover for several miles after our campsite. We entered the cool dim area and spotted something we have never seen, two owls were perched in trees high over the road. They were very nervous and watched us carefully for several minutes until they flew up the road and into the woods. It was real cool to be able to watch them for those brief moments. Later back at camp we heard them hoot several times, it made us smile. We sat around the fire and watched it burn, our talk was about the upcoming river trip so it looked like we were switching gears from camping to boating so off to bed we went for a quiet nights sleep.

In the morning we got up, Linda and Baka ran, and I had coffee again. When the joggers returned something strange was in the making. Bees, hundreds of honey bees had moved into our camp. The bees were not aggressive but they were everywhere! So we talked for a bit and decided that we should pack up and head back to put things together for our next trip. I stayed our side, with the bees and packed up there while Linda took care of everything in the camper. Baka, who is usually a bee dog, was a bit overwhelmed and just sat there as we packed. It didn’t take long and we were on the road back home. We stopped at the Shoshone Work Center and dumped our tanks, stopped at Wolf Lodge and got rid of the garbage and arrived home in time to get started packing.

No comments: