Monday, October 13, 2008

It's Getting Cold!

It’s winding down almost too fast. Our camping season probably will end after this weekend. There is a slight possibility that we will get out once more, but our weekends are getting fuller and the weather is getting real cold. I doubt that we will see temperatures going up much.
I drove down to Heyburn State Park after work. Linda is at Phantom of the Opera in Spokane tonight, she plans on driving down in the Jeep in the morning. It’s kind of weird without her here. Kobi and I got to the park and took a long walk. They sure have changed the park! They added a park office that looks out over the marsh. It’s a real nice building and they placed it in a real nice setting.

After the walk I went into the camper while Kobi ate dinner. I made my dinner while he ate and then I ate while he slept. It was getting colder so I put my little buddy into the crate and then started blogging.

I feel a little decadent right now, I have the TV on and I’m watching Americas Hardest Jobs and working on the laptop. I guess the fact that I am so comfortable and have all the major amenities might suggest that I’m not really camping. You know what? I don’t care. We have talked about this many times. We paid our dues and now it’s COMFORT TIME!
I went to bed and read for three minutes. The phone rang in the morning and Linda said she was on her way. I got up and walked the dog and in about an hour the phone rang again and Linda was here. She settled in a bit and then we took a walk along the lake trail. About ten minutes in we heard some guys yowling across the bay. We listened closer and it wasn’t humans celebrating the goose hunt, but coyotes bawling and baying. This went on for a few minute and it sounded like it was right next to us. We kept Kobi closer as we hiked around the lake. I had Linda do her best imitation of a coyote. She did well once we corrected it from a seal bark to more of a wail and a coyote sound. Nothing replied but I think Linda could run with the pack some day. Kobi ran around and got into the mud, then into the water. I can’t believe how much he loves the water, he is a true Retriever.

We hiked back to the camper and ate lunch, and then we loaded the Jeep and drove up the St. Joe River to see the fall colors. Our drive took us thirty miles up to Huckleberry Campground where we stopped and checked the park out. There were quite a few hunters camped there but the place was nowhere near full. The camp it’s self was very nice and clean, we took a tour and then headed for home.

At the road leading to Calder we decided to check out the city, so we drove in over the river to the center of town, I think. There is not much in Calder, except we did get to see a moose head and body parts in the front yard of one of the residences. Folks were gathered out front as the butchered the big beast. I have seen larger racks, but it looked to be good sized. We drove by slowly and then headed out of town and back to our camp.

Back at Heyburn we built a roaring fire and sat around the heat. We tossed the Chuck-it ball for Kobi for over an hour and a half. He just kept chasing it. He has so much enthusiasm when he goes after the ball, it’s like every time is the first. He throws himself over stumps, roots and obstacles. He crashes through brush and down hills head over heels. Nothing stops him from getting that little orange ball.

I made dinner while Linda read and played toss with the dog. We had chicken noodle soup and corn bread. It was the perfect meal for this cold clear evening. After dinner Linda did the dishes and we read some more. We went to sleep listening to the coyotes across the bay. There howls and barks made us feel like we were “out there” again.

1 comment:

Owl X said...

You were in Calder and didnt stop in to say hello??? Check my blog. See dead animal. I'm not emailing because I dont want to look at work stuff.