Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Pisst, You Want Some Candy?

I am getting so confused. With the rain, the new camp sites, and the sightseeing, I don’t know exactly what we have done each day. The best answer is to post what we did and hope to get it in the right time frame.

The days at Carl G. Washburne were filled with more beach explorations, a couple lighthouse visits, and some more clam chowder.  Drove south to Heceta Head Lighthouse and hiked up to the viewpoint.

Heceta Head Lighthouse.
When we arrived one of the volunteers quickly said that we had to climb up to the overlook where we could get the best shot of the light in the house. As we scampered up the steep hillside I could just hear the volunteer talking to the other volunteer saying, “That’s four more for me!” Both of them snickering and shaking their heads.

I got a good shot of the light and then we slipped and slid back down to the lighthouse level. I imagine that volunteers get a bit bored and would be constantly making up games and stories using the visitors as their guinea pigs.

I guess it was worth the climb.
With the hike at the lighthouse behind us, we drove into Florence and looked around the downtown area. We had a good meal at the Firehouse Restaurant and Lounge. We continued the chowder challenge by tasting their five-time award winning chowder. We all agreed it was good!

Back at Washburne we ate dinner and played our usual game of cards. It was raining hard so we all hit the sack at Oregon Coast Midnight, 9:00 PM.

Umpqua River Lighthouse.
Monday we packed up and drove down to our next campground Bullards Beach. There was a break in the weather and this yellow orb filled the sky with light and warmth.  We found a camp spot and then walked the 1½ miles to the beach. It was so nice to be out and about without our heavy rain jackets on.  Once back at the rigs we played more cards laughing at all the stories we shared.
A couple of real comedians.
Bandon by the Sea was our next day’s area of exploration. We started by driving to the Coquille River Lighthouse and looking around there.  Next, we drove to Face Rock scenic viewpoint and looked at the impressive offshore monolith.

Bandon provided us with several hours of exploration. We ate at Tony’s Crab Shack, logging their clam chowder in our competition. I cannot figure out exactly why we ate clam chowder and not the crab and shrimp sandwich that was so highly recommended. It’s a CRAB shack for goodness sake, nothing was said about clams!

Art made from recycling beach junk.
After we ate and laughed, we walked to a store that should be outlawed for the good of all mankind. Cranberry Sweets & More is a nice shop that sells all sorts of candy. The reason it should be outlawed is that they cut up a million different candies, and put them in bowls all over the store, and you can taste any of them you want.  IT WAS A FEEDING FRENZY! I casually notice a couple bowls of different chocolates and popped them in my mouth. Next thing I knew, I had four chunks of candy in my right hand, two in my left and my mouth was stuffed full of several chocolate-covered jelly things. I know I circled the peanut brittle bowl more than for times. I was out of control! I took a breath and looked around; everyone was doing the same as me! By the time we left the store we were so jazzed up on sugar that Grant drove out of town wrong way! We were trying to find a gas station but were so hyped up that we couldn’t see straight. The crash was awful, I still have a headache.
Just another funny event in the Can-Am Rendezvous, and we’ll just keep give’r the rest of the trip.



Coquille River Lighthouse.




Face Rock.

No comments: